Friday, September 4, 2009

review: iPod Touch

For a week, I was able to use an iPod Touch...

===============================

(As of 2009 September 4) There are three versions: 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB flash drive models. I used an 8 GB unit.

The displays are 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreens. There is a built-in speaker, and the supported audio formats are:
AAC
MP3
Apple Lossless
AIFF
and WAV.

To set the tone of my review, and to give a quick summary of my experience: first and foremost, even though it has other functionality, it is an iPod.

-------------------------------------------------

I appreciated Contacts, Calendars, Notes, and the Calculator applications that were included.

{Per page 11 of the User Guide}  Contacts will synchronize with the Address Book, and Google Contacts on a Mac.  With Windows, it will synch with: Yahoo! Address Book, Google Contacts, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), Windows Vista Contacts, or Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007.  I was using Windows and found, via iTunes, I could configure:  Yahoo Address Book, Windows Address Book, Google Contacts, and Outlook.The Calendars application works with iCal on a Mac, and Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 when using Windows.


{Per page 103 of the User Guide}  Notes with sync with Mac OS X Mail, and Microsoft Outlook.

I wish iTunes had the functionality to edit Notes, Calendar, and Contacts...like Palm Desktop.

There is a Voice Memos application...but no microphone on the iPod Touch to take advantage of it. On Apple's website I found "Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic" for $29. (If you have an external microphone, consider using Skype for iPhone:  Skype-to-Skype calls are free.)

There is a standard 3.5mm TRS connector (tip, ring, sleeve) for earphones.  And the iPod Touch can connect to Bluetooth headphones (Andy has used that feature).

I'm disappointed that I cannot send and receive files, pictures, and more via Bluetooth.

===============================

I was able to watch SOME streaming YouTube content (from CBS News, Current, and others).

And, I learned that the multitasking capability of the iPod Touch...in my opinion...sucks! I was watching a video that was being streamed, and when I changed to a different application (like Notes) the video was terminated. I was able to use only one function at a time.

===========================

I had hoped to be able to connect the iPod Touch to a Windows computer, that did not have iTunes installed, and be able to access the iPod as a drive for storage: if using a Windows operating system with the iPod Touch, to access the iPod Touch, iTunes must be installed.

==========================

Some (free) applications I installed and used were:
Evernote
Twitterrrific
MySpace
and Facebook.

Y! Music has content supplied by CBS RADIO. The Yahoo! Messenger application will allow you to sign-on "invisible"...but the only other two options (for all contacts) are "busy" and "available". And, there is a Yahoo! application for accessing some of their other services...

You can participate in a discussion in our forum about applications for the iPod Touch and iPhone.


===========================

Before I returned the unit, I was able to erase all of its content and settings.  It must be connected to a power source because it could take more than four hours to complete the procedure (which probably pertains to the 32 GB models: the 8 GB model I used only needed about an hour).

There is an option to reset your preferences and settings where contacts, calendars, and media (audio and videos) aren't deleted.

============================

Overall...I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' THING! I think it's one of the greatest devices ever invented. ("Huh...look at that...my birthday is a few days away...")

I DO need/want an external keyboard: my fingers are large, and I make a lot of mistakes when using the touchscreen. And, I want a stylus.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Paykan said...

Awesome review dude . Im on my 3rd gen 32 gig iPod Touch now and love it ;)

 
At September 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hit every nail on the head in your review. It's a very cool toy, could be even cooler in a generation or two....

 
At September 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM , Blogger S!ick said...

Thanks. What bothers me is that others who have done reviews seem to not note things that should have been...things that need to be known and understood BEFORE someone purchases the device. Why were they not more thorough in their reviews?...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home